Thursday, May 22, 2008

Week 1 and a bit

Today was day 10, well over a week of Oregon life under my belt but not so much with the bird banding. Firstly, the living accomidations very greatly here, some times I stay up in a really rustic cabin way up in the mountains, whereas other times (including those days when I update this thingy) I am in a house in the suburbs. Its a weird mix. But the cabin is really cool, unfortunately I have been sleeping on the floor or couch most nights because there is 1 too many people (and for some reason, that 1 person is always me).

Photobucket

But my regular schedule currently is, wake up at 4 am, head out to wherever we are working and arrive usually by 5:30 just before sunrise, scramble around to set things up (and there is always a complication because we are rushing), finally get all the nets up, sit around and not catch many birds, and then close down the nets early because its raining or too windy. And thats the day. But I am learning a great deal every day, and seeing as I really couldn't identify a single bird before I came, and I can do at least 15 or 20 now (including separate some warblers and sparrows) and can identify some from just their songs, I think things are going well. Soon I will be extracting the birds from the nets, which is stressful to watch, so I can only imagine what its like to have to slip a tight mesh net off a bird as it tries to get away.

Photobucket

The people here (see above) are really cool, and they are from all over the place, infact Colombians outnumber the amount of Americans working as banding interns. And its not always bird talk (which I was afraid of), in fact, its rarely bird talk.

Anyways, its 10:30 and I have to be up at 4 so its off to bed for me. A new post should be coming much sooner than the last update (I say that now). Until later...

2 comments:

Hermano Rojo said...

What? Are you saying Colombians aren't Americans?

William Wandering said...

shit ayden i would never have thought you would be able to wake up at 4am.. usually i dont see you awake until 4pm... My how things change after one graduates.

-Jeremy